Saturday, 3 October 2026

ILaiyaraaja - The 'Heartiste'

 
What drives some people?

I said ‘people’ because at times categorising becomes tough. For example, what would you call a person who is creative and aesthetic and poetic? A poet?

If yes, what about a person who is creative, aesthetic and musical? A musician?

What about a person who is creative, aesthetic and artistic? An artist?

Does it mean that a poet is not musical and artistic, that a musician is not poetic, that an artist is not musical and poetic?

That is why, I detest labelling and frown at people the moment they start labelling things or people.

So, rather than answering – or trying to answer – the question asked in the beginning, let me take up some examples. Rest assured, it will be done by the end of this post.

I am a poet and I am beyond Time

I give life to things

I create, I give and I destroy- Like Him

I do not give in to adulation; nor do I give in to insults

‘Change’ is my philosophy

Take it if you agree; Bark if you don’t – It does not affect me

I am the beginning, I am the end.

 

கவிஞன் யானோர் காலக் கணிதம்

கருப்படு பொருளை உருப்பட வைப்போன்

ஆக்கல், அளித்தல், அழித்தல் – இம்மூன்றும் அவனும் யானுமே அறிந்தவை

புகழ்ந்தால் என்னுடல் புல்லரிக்காது, இகழ்ந்தால் என் மனம் இறந்து விடாது

கொள்வோர் கொள்க, குரைப்போர் குறைக்க

நானே தொடக்கம், நானே முடிவு.

These are part of a poem written by KaNNadasan and though there is no reference to what keeps him going, the words are powerful enough for us to understand and interpret the meaning.

People like him who cannot be ‘boxed’ or ‘labelled’ keep going because of their clarity on what their purpose in life is.

Needless to say, ILaiyaraaja is also part of such ‘people’.

What we are going to see today is a song whose first line says – This is the melody directly from the heart and it will not stop even if anybody tries their best to stop it.

A song which would not have been heard by many outside the states that speak Telugu-  Oka Hrudayamu palukina sa ri ga ma swaramu idhi from Kunti Putrudu (1993) - shimmers in Gowri Manohari in the voice of Yesudas.

Traversing the different octaves in a single sweep, the akaaram in the beginning shows the sketch of the raga in a matter of seconds. The Pallavi adds more shades to the sketch with two different sets of strings. Majestic and alluring! The sound of the bells between the lines makes it subtly colourful.

With its unique soft and resonant tonality, the sitar gives a diffused glow in the beginning of the first interlude. Amidst that light, the flute appears, moves around, floats in the air and fills the atmosphere with Gowri Manohari sporting a bewitching smile.

The pleasing demeanour continues in the CharaNams, dancing and prancing, with the second half of the first CharaNam seeing a flurry of swaras. The graceful response of the flute is subtle and nuanced with the Raga Laya Natana Raaja holding sway over Gowri Manohari and Chatushram.

..And he continues this in the second interlude. First, the sitar and the percussion play

 ta ki ta/ ta ki ta/ ta ki ta/ta ka dhi mi.

The flute responds in kind. The sitar plays again along with the percussion and this time, it is the strings that respond.

The sitar then plays – ta ki ta/ta ki ta/ ta ka- and the strings reflect it in its inimitable style. The pattern repeats. The sitar, flute and the strings join hands together, put their feet together and sing and dance together - with glee.

The flurry of swaras continues in the second half of the second Charanam, the pattern and the combination being different from that of the first one.

Does it answer the question asked in the beginning?

What drives some people?

Can I say it is the drive that drives some people?

If yes, where is it coming from?

See the caption and you might get the answer.

 

No comments: